Tuesday, March 10, 2009

Logitech Harmony 550: One remote to rule them all!





Most people have more than just a TV and cable box in their living rooms. Most have some combination of a stereo, TiVo/DVR, video game console(s), DVD player, etc. Each of these devices undoubtedly comes with its own remote. I personally had 7 remotes at one point. One day I decided that 7 remotes was for the birds and that I need a universal remote. I didn't want to spend a lot, and I wanted a device that I could use in the dark and that would be future proof. Enter the Logitech Harmony 550. Let me say, firstly, that I love Logitech. They're famous for making keyboards and mice for PC's. Their products are high in quailty and usability and low in price. They have yet to let me down. So, it made perfect sense to look at their remote controls as well. Across the net, you'll find very few bad reviews of the 550 remote. It supports literally every IR device ever made, and comes with software that is updated daily for new devices. It is very easy to program, as the software is designed for novices and pros alike. It uses "activites" to combine commands in order to achieve some functional result, like "turn on TV, then cable, then Tivo, in that order." It has a backlit display and buttons for night use. It has customizable buttons that you can map to any 1 command or series of commands for any items(s). In short, there is nothing you can't do with this thing. It controls my TV, DVR, Receiver, DVD Player, Xbox, PS3, and Cable Box. Put 4 rechargable AAA's in it and never buy remote batteries again. Logitech makes more expensive versions of this remote with many more bells and whistles, but this one is really all you need. Highly recommended.

No comments:

Post a Comment